Summer is coming in Melbourne, Florida and that means the temperature is rising! If you’re like most people, you’re probably looking for ways to cool down. One option is to buy a new air conditioning unit. But with so many different models on the market, how do you know which one is right for you? Here are some factors to consider while shopping for a new AC unit.
The first thing one should consider is what type of unit one should buy. There are several types of air conditioning units including the common portable units, central air conditioning units, and window units. Here are a few of the pros and cons for each unit:
Window AC Systems
- Window air conditioning systems are typically easier to maintain and they usually cost less. They also don’t take up floor space which could be valuable in a smaller home or apartment
- They can be noisy and some may consider it an eyesore. They can ruin a pretty window view and they have to be located close to an electrical outlet.
Portable Air Conditioners
- Window air conditioning units are the most affordable type of AC unit on the market. These units can be very easy to move around the house and they don’t require any permanent installation. They are always ready when and where you need them. They are also easy to store when they’re not needed. Portable air conditioners are a great option for those who want the benefits of an air conditioner without the hassle or expense of installation. Additionally, portable air conditioners are easy to move from room to room, so you can enjoy cool air wherever you go in your home.
- Portable air conditioners can be noisy, making it tough to concentrate on work or school. They aren’t effective in cooling larger rooms. Portable units that come with a hose may have to be placed near a window which may obstruct your view.
Central Air Conditioning Units
- Central air conditioning units are very effective if you have a large home, with multiple rooms. It connects all rooms that are connected to a duct at once. This creates air circulation that reduces humidity and makes the environment, in general, more comfortable.
- Central air conditioning units can be quite expensive to install, and if you’re not comfortable with doing some of the installation work yourself, it can get pricey. Additionally, central air conditioning units require regular maintenance in order to keep them running at peak performance levels. Furthermore, they aren’t very energy efficient, so those who are environmentally conscious or bargain hunters may want to consider another option.
One of the most important factors to consider is the SEER rating. The SEER rating is one of the most important factors, as it measures how energy-efficient the AC unit is. The higher the SEER rating, the more money you’ll save on your electricity bill. Additionally, you may want to ask about your ductwork. Proper ductwork can make your system even more energy-efficient which can save you even more money!
High-efficiency models will have an “energy star” on them. This pinpoints the most energy-efficient models on the market. They might be pricey but they will save you money in the long run!
You also need to consider the size of the AC unit along with the size of the room. Some people might be tempted to buy the cheapest air conditioning unit they can find, but this could be a costly mistake. Buying an AC unit that is too small will not keep your home cool and their quality may suffer. You may also be stuck with constant repair and maintenance bills which can add up One way you remedy this is ask about the load calculation. The load calculation determines the appropriate size of the unit that your home will require. The load calculation is what helps your AC technician determine the thermal characteristics of your home with your cooling capacity. This calculation takes the climate, house size, roofing material, directional orientation, number of appliances, and other important information. When getting a quote from us, be sure to ask about the load calculation!
Frequency of Use
Another factor to consider is how often you use your Air conditioning. With living in Melbourne, Florida, it is safe to assume that many people would use their AC often. If you use your AC often, then you will want to buy an AC unit with a higher cooling capacity and make sure it is very reliable. Florida summers can be rough on AC units.
When getting a quote from us, be sure to ask about the load calculation! Another factor to consider is how often you use your air conditioning. With living in Melbourne, Florida, it is safe to assume that many people would use their AC often. Additionally, you may want to take note of the window location, and ceiling fans in your home.
Indoor Air Quality
Indoor air quality is something one should keep in the back of their mind when shopping. Spring and summer allergies can be very bad, and an air purifier can help combat any allergens in the home. Air conditioning units with built-in air purifiers are a great option for those who suffer from allergies.
A programmable thermostat may be useful for those who are not home often or those who may have more than one house. Programmable thermostats allow you to change the temperature of your home anywhere at any time. This will empower you to save on your energy bill, as the AC will turn off when it is not needed. This can also prolong the life of your AC system which can save you bundles of money in the future. It is also nice for those who simply like to come home to a cool house. Ask about a remote control for your AC too. Nobody wants to wake up in the middle of the night and have to walk across the house just to turn to change the temperature of your house.
Sound of Your Unit
Although it may seem obvious, the sound of your unit should be a consideration as well. What is worse than having a good movie being interrupted by the loud woosh of your indoor fan? Or imagine being woken up in the middle of the night because of the harsh head-splitting sound when your outside unit turns on? Nobody wants that. Make sure to pick an AC unit that is relatively quiet so you don’t have to worry about being interrupted by an annoyingly thunderous sound of the air coming through your vents. Your neighbors may thank you too.
Annual maintenance is also a key factor to consider. All AC units need to be cleaned and serviced regularly to run efficiently and last longer. We don’t want you to lose your air conditioner in the middle of one of those scorching Florida heat waves!
Be sure to ask about warranties and what is included. Air conditioning units can be expensive, so it’s important to know what you’re getting into. Ask about the company’s return policy and how long the unit should last. Not all AC units are created equal!
Speak With One of Our Experts
Browsing through different brands of air conditioning units is important too. Luckily we have a large selection of Trane, Mitsubishi, and Runtru units. All three brands are the top brands on the market and we will strive to give you the best deal with the most comfort possible. What is better than saving money?
Finally, you need to consider the price of the Air conditioning unit. Air conditioners can range in price from a few hundred dollars to over $5000.You need to find one that fits into your budget while still meeting your needs. Be sure to consider how long you believe you will be living in your current home, if you own your home, or just renting, or if you plan on selling your home.